Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Is there a reason?

I've a firm believer in a higher power. I won't get into my official religion, rites, etc. that I choose to practice, but I BELIEVE in a higher power. Many things have happened in my life that confirm that belief, as there are many things that have questioned it. It is because of this belief that in my life, "whatever happens, happens for a reason." This school of thought has given me the strength not to dwell, but also not to take the good things for granted. I'm extremely blessed and have a fairly postive outlook. When times are bad, I know that it is for a reason, and things will get better.

Yesterday,
something happened that shook that belief to the core. Why? What can possess a person to commit so much heartache to so many people? What is going on in their head that allows them to carry on such violent acts; and then selfishly surrender themselves to their violent act and not face the consequences? Why were there parents of the students left to wonder in the first few hours of this massacre, left to wonder whether it is their child that was one of the 30+? Why did so many people have to die? Why?

I have no explanations. Only questions, and only looking to my beliefs that this will get better and somewhere, we will find the reasons/answers that so many are now looking for/need.

My condolences go out to the families who have lost their children, and to the students who have lost their friends. To a school and to a country that lost its innocence in such a grotesque manner. May God rest their souls in peace.

2 comments:

Bengali Chick said...

I wish I knew what the reason was.

Ranjit said...

It's this kind of thing that makes me question the existence of a higher power.